Citizens Association “ROMKINJA”-”Roma women”
ROMKINJA citizens’ association has been active in Serbia since 2013 with the aim of helping the Roma and non-Roma people in the territory of Serbia in the educational, health and social aspects of life. In the implementation of projects in the previous period were engaged 35 people of different educational backgrounds and ages, but all with a common goal – to help those who really need help. Currently are engaged eight people on projects, six volunteers, nine members who are depending on the project they hire, and more than 150 members who are present when needed.
Romkinja aims to actively support the process of female emancipation against all forms of gender discrimination and through specific interventions directed to the support of Roma education. We fulfill our aim undertaking actions and projects which will help and promote the integration of the Roma population in the Italian and European society, combat prejudices and discrimination with concrete, grassroots actions, while respecting different identities, the equal dignity and the fundamental values of civic life. With our work we want to combat prejudice about Roma and all forms of discrimination, direct and indirect towards our population.
We have offered our support for free and confidentially, providing language support in Romani and Serbian as well as an interpretation service for our members.
We also offer social support to the members of the Roma community and provide advice to those who need to know their rights and duties in terms of health, employment and family law. In particular, we provide interpreting and translation to support our beneficiaries with their practical problems as well as collaborating with institutions providing language assistance.
As we strongly recognize the importance of having data about our population, which too often is hidden among the most vulnerable parts of the society and confined in camps, we support and participate in research projects aimed at mapping our population and our needs.
We have learned the importance of establishing connections with other organizations, therefore we collaborate and support joint activities organized with other associations and NGOs from the voluntary sector.
At the same time, we cooperate with national authorities in order to establish a solid partnerships towards the improvement of Roma integration in Serbia.
Romkinja has only existed since 2013. As we aim at connecting Roma women and improve their condition, at the date we have participated in a number of networking events, both a national and international level.
Because of our strong connection with the Roma community, we have been often contacted by several organizations seeking collaborations because of our capacity to engage and dialogue with the community at grassroots level.
Besides the listed achievement, our biggest success takes place in our daily activities with Roma women and girls. Advising and supporting them on issues like family law, employment and financial matters, we see them being more confident and open towards the mainstream society. They are very different from the biased model of Roma women that some media articles and political discourse present. And it is because of their efforts and daily achievement that we are highly committed to the advocacy of their rights.
The goal that the association aims is to promote the integration of the Roma population and other traveling communities in Serbian and European society, combat prejudice and discrimination, with very concrete actions, respecting different identities, of equal dignity and the fundamental values of civilized life; counter the widespread prejudices about Roma and all the objective that the association aims is to promote the integration of the Roma population and other traveling communities in the Serbian and European society, combat prejudice and discrimination, with very actions concrete, respecting different identities, the equal dignity and fundamental values of civilized life; counter the widespread prejudices about Roma and all forms of discrimination, direct or indirect towards footsteps of discrimination, direct and indirect to this population. Association has a strong female characterization because the main actions as actors, references and partners especially women and Roma youth from different communities to share and develop knowledge and skills by creating and supporting employment opportunities and activities cultural . The beneficiaries and protagonists of the interventions are the Roma families in the area, in “camps”, directly involved in the definition of needs, planning initiatives and in their concrete realization. Participation active strategy National and regional inclusion Roma and Sinti in Italy.
Community network for assess to the service of roma woman .Our goal and mission is to organize and manage activities, undertake actions and projects which will help and actively support the process of female empowerment and social inclusion in modern life. We aim at helping to overcome all those practices that undermine human dignity and personal autonomy.
- 2018, June: workshop about disease and addiction, organized in 5 municipalities of the city Nis.
- 2018, April: workshop about early marriage, organized in 5 municipalities of the city Nis.
- 2018, February: workshop about violence among students, organized in 3 municipalities of the city Nis.
- 2016-2025: we joined a team to develop a local action plan to improve the position of Roma in the city of Niš for the period 2017 to 2019; we are advisor in preparing the national plan and strategy to improve life of Roma people for the decade 2016-2025.
- 2016, June – 2018 May: The Month of Roma Activism is celebrated. During these 30 days are organized activities that will raise the awareness of the Roma and their appreciation that they belong to the society in which they live and that society thinks about them and helps them in everyday activities towards their better life. The activities included
- Give me a hand, for a better future – these additional classes made an incredible improvement in grades in school-age children.
- World Day of Roma (April, 8th) – the celebration of this day included typical music, dances, food…
- The joy for all children – Easter workshops for painting eggs
- Djurdjevdan Celebration
- Against all type of violence – project which wanted to stress the importance to find new solutions to psychical, economic, sexual (and so on) violence.
- SOS Telephone Against Violence – direct cooperation a Safe House who let us working with victim of violence. We worked on a brochure to share with the customers; we informed women about the existence of the SOS Telephone Against violence and about the laws which protect them
- Against discrimination and young marriage – we provided advocacy for all kind of problems
- With children for integration – we worked with children to make them totally integrated in the society
- 2016: Associated Partner in the project Marry when you are ready (JUST/2014/RDAP/AG/HARM/8009)
- 2016, May: coordinators for Roma issues at the regional conference – workshops on comparative analysis of practices on the project SKGO, the network for Roma issues, operational goals and measures of the Strategy for inclusive Roma in the Republic of Serbia for the decade 2016-2025 relevant to the local level.
- 2014 – development educational centers in southern Serbia
- 2014: The Inclusion of the Old Roma – Helping the Old Romans Victims of Holocaust
- 2013-2014 – counseling for Roma mothers and Drenchia up to three years old and children with special needs